Monday, February 2, 2009

Wait... Whaaat?! Snowing in London?!

Yes, it's hard to believe, but I'm now filling you in on the truth people... It has been snowing in London ALL DAY and believe it or not, it's actually STICKING!

I had quite the horrendous experience last night with the snow. After church, I went to the LK rehearsal from 2:30 until about 7, and stopped by one of my friend's flats in Northeast London. I was able to catch the Piccadilly train from Wood Green to Hammersmith around 11, but once I got to Hammersmith and was waiting for the 72 Bus back to Roehampton, found out that all buses were being cancelled due to the weather. By this time, there were also no more tubes. If any of you have ever been to London, try to fathom what the city would be like with no trains and no buses... Umm... yeah. Difficult, isn't it. Utter chaos!!! I then proceeded to run around like an imbecile trying to flag down taxis with 3 other girls who also needed to head back to the Roehampton area. Did I mention it was a complete blizzard outside? We called to reserve a taxi, but learned that there was a 3 hour wait and they were no longer taking reservations. I tried to think of who I could call, but there was no one, no one, NO ONE!!! Everyone uses public transportation to get around in this bloody city! I was completely stranded and was starting to freak cuz I was wearing my dance sneakers, and by this point, I was so, sooo cold. An older woman joined our group who needed to get to Putney, a younger guy going to Putney Heath, and another older man going to Roehampton. The 2 guys were able to get a taxi and told us we could join in. We then smashed 7 people into the vehicle and each only had to pay about 5 quid to get to our respective destinations. Once we were in the taxi and warm, the experience became more of an adventure really. Can you imagine 7 random people - Scottish, Polish, British, French, and Canadian, all crammed in a taxi at 2:30 AM in a complete snow storm?! By the time I got home it was 3 AM. I repeat, 3 AM!!! Yes, quite the evening, especially when I was supposed to get up early the next morning to finish preparing my presentation on Margaret Mead for my Anthro module. I then worked on the presentation until 6 AM (basically until I felt like I was going to die) and slept for a couple hours until 8:30 AM. By this point it was still snowing outside. I tried to call my instructor, left a couple of messages, made the decision that class was most likely cancelled, and went back to bed. Haha!

Long story short, class was indeed cancelled today, and all classes are cancelled tomorrow as well. SNOW DAYS!!! Word up! Talk about a trial turned into a blessing!
After I slept in until about 1 PM, Randa and I went to Richmond Park to explore and play in the snow. So many people were out and about enjoying the snow, and it was so much fun! Here are some pics:

Evidence of the night before can be seen in the bags under my eyes... haha!



4 comments:

kristen kathleen said...

Hahahaha!!! Can we build a snowman and make snow angels while I'm there?!?!? 24 HOURS baby!!!!!

kristen kathleen said...

Hahahaha!!! Can we build a snowman and make snow angels while I'm there?!?!? 24 HOURS baby!!!!!

ann said...

Aww, I'm so jealous!!! I wanna come!

Penelope Celeste said...

Seriously Ann... you totally should plan a trip to London! Then we can go to Sweden and you can be my little tour guide! xox